Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kevin Durant, Paula Abdul, and Michael Jordan walk into a bar...





So if you've ever met Jack or read anything I post about him on facebook, you already know he tells everyone his name is Jack Kevin Durant Brady. Sometimes it's Jack Brady Kevin Durant, depending on his mood. He loves the Thunder. He loves Rumble. All he's been talking about for the past 7 months is his Thunder birthday party. (no joke- 7 months.) Sometimes he simply calls it "my Kevin Durant party." This kid may be the biggest (little) Thunder fan there ever was. 


A. The picture above was taken the day after he attended his very first Thunder game. So proudly he wore his Rumble pullover and Thunder hat- for a week straight. He still sleeps with "Baby Rumble" every night and he takes his Rumble bag to school everyday and to his grandma's for overnight stays.


B. These are his "Westbrook glasses." He wears them on the reg even though he doesn't need glasses. Thunder fashion glasses, everyone. He is 3 years old.

    

C. He cried when he found out James Harden had been traded to the Rockets. He had just gotten his tonsils out and he was on pain meds so that may have had something to do with his highly emotional state but he seriously cried real tears. 




 OK. We made the major mistake of saying we were going to try and book Rumble to come to his party. Rumble has a prior commitment out of town that day and can't come. The next available day he has is in February. There's an out of town Thunder game so obviously Kevin Durant can't come either. We didn't want to upset Jack so we didn't say anything in hopes that he would be distracted at his party and not even think about Rumble or KD being there. 

     

My husband is out of town for the night so Jack and I were cruising the internet finding Thunder themed napkins and basketball candles and he started talking about how excited he was that Rumble was going to be there. I had to say something at that point because I would rather him be disappointed now than at the end of his party wondering when Rumble was going to be there. I broke the news Rumble would be out of town and I knew he would be sad but I didn't think he would react the way he did. He started crying. Balling. Devastated. 


So, I know he's only 3. I know there are many more serious disappointments in life. I know you don't always get what you want. I know we should be thankful for the things we have. I also remember how heartbroken I was when I had the flu the day of the Paula Abdul concert. My mom made me a special red lace, tiered mini-skirt and i hot glued red rhinestones on a black tank top and I wasn't going to get to wear it. You laugh because I loved Paula Abdul. Go ahead, i was little. But you know, I didn't just love her- I wanted to be like her when I grew up. It didn't happen and that's not the point but- I remember the feeling I had that day and the days after and straight up now tell me, I know it sucks.

After an hour of trying to console and reason with my son, i recorded a minute of it so i could send it to my husband, in hopes we could figure something else out. Move his party to a later date or something along those lines. I later posted it to my facebook wall because he is so cute and sincere and I just couldn't keep it to myself. 

This one is just sweet. He says he misses KD and Rumble. 

The next video was about an hour into our talk. It is sad. Proceed with caution. Also, yes, he's holding a binky. He's too old for it, I know. The binky is put up unless there is an emergency and when he is distraught he likes to hold it. Sue me. 

Oh, I asked Jack if it was ok to post these videos and he encouraged it. He's only 3 (almost 4) but I would never want to make him feel embarrassed or anything like that.



Jack had a long day and he fell asleep early. I decided to check my email because, well, i rarely do. This is what I found. 





Is it the real Michael Jordan? I don't know. Sure! I like to think so. Is it? Who knows. The real Michael Jordan would know. ANYWAY. I like it. It's awesome. When I show Jack tomorrow morning (not that he can read but whatever) he's going to be happy. I'm not getting his hopes up about anyone being at his party though. EVER AGAIN. (Poor little guy.) One the other hand, PLEASE COME TO JACK'S 4TH BIRTHDAY PARTY, MICHAEL JORDAN! How amazing would that be. Seriously.





Night night.
♥ jp



3 comments:

  1. Ack! I hope he shows up!! Should we all start Twitter lobbying Michael Jordan? I think so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! Excellent idea! I showed Jack MJ's comment and he was SO HAPPY! We've been watching Jordan videos all morning. He's beyond impressed. He saw MJ dunk and screamed "I WANT HIM TO COME TO MY PARTY!" I'm not getting his hopes up so I explained how far away and busy he must be so for now he's just happy to see that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that boy!!! Please come Mr Michael Jordan!!
    Love jack's grandma, Pammy !!!

    ReplyDelete